Thursday, June 25, 2009

(Lack of) Drawing

I don't draw that much anymore, even though I would very much like to. I used to attribute this to a lack of time -- I'd hate to start on a drawing, if I suspect I will not get to finish it -- but now I believe there's another reason behind it: it's difficult for me to start if other people are around me. Especially other people who are much better at it than myself.

It's a stupid reason, I know, but I can't shake it. I hope I someday will, because right now I'm getting nowhere.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Especially other people who are much better at it than myself."
I take it you're not referring to the kids here :)

Unknown said...

Well, in a way, I am referring to them ;). Because one of the first things they learn adults when they start drawing is that they have to draw like toddlers again.

They draw 'naturally' what they 'see', and not what they 'think they see', as we learn to do when we grow up. Kindergarten actually suppresses and eliminates our drawing talents.