Thursday, May 6, 2010

Softkinetic

After a short time of unemployment in December (which I preferred to call 'my well-deserved vacation') I managed to find a new job as a software developer at Softkinetic. It's a rapidly growing company specialized in what they call 'natural interfaces'.

We develop the technology that allows people to interact with any device by means of body movement through the use of a 3D camera. It's about the same as Microsoft's recent project Natal, except that Softkinetic has more know-how and years of experience in the field. The most obvious application for this technology is video games, but other fields will benefit as well -- think 'Minority Report' to have a glimpse of how this technology can change our everyday lives.

I've been working here for a little over 5 months now, and it's definitely an improvement in life quality. The organization and atmosphere in this place have really allowed me to take things on in a more relaxed way and at the same time accomplishing more than ever -- not just on a professional level, but on a personal level too.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to hear that!

How's the commute? Still using public transport or already going by car?

Unknown said...

Well, luck has it that just today I've been told that my company car will be available either this or next week!

Guillaume Piette said...

That's really cool for you. I'm glad you found a nice job. Especially one you enjoy, which allows you achieve more (not that difficult if you ask me), and most importantly, which allows you to improve your personnal life. When I read this, I almost want to be "fired" too.
Isn't it where JS is also working btw?

Unknown said...

Hey Guillaume, it's very nice to hear from you.

Yes, it's sort of where JS works too. I'm saying "sort of" because he's at Softkinetic Studios in Charleroi making games, while I'm in Brussels working on the core technology (having a desk next to Sebastien, by the way, who really helped me get in here).

Wim said...

Hey, congratulations! This sounds pretty could actually.

Do you guys work as a 3rd party vendor for other companies, or do you also make software yourself that utilizes your interfaces?

Unknown said...

Hey Wim,

We actually do both. I'm in the office in Brussels which creates the core technology and 3rd party SDK as well as demos, but we also have an office in Charleroi (called Softkinetic Studios) which creates games using this SDK.

Wim said...

Cool! Any games I could know?

Unknown said...

I don't think so, to be honest. They're more casual games, nothing for hardcore gamers.

They've made games like Silhouette, where you have to take full-body poses to make your avatar fit through a funky hole in a wall (including doing moves like in Jacko's Thriller; see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke9bECUiteI), and a promotional game for a new Disney movie 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p5CT1I6LaM).